Just Being Us

Just Being Us
Family, where we can be real, and feel unconditional love!

Friday, November 18, 2016

Words... What a Powerful Tool


Death and life are in the power of the tongue
~Proverbs 18:21a

     Words are so very powerful.  They can be used to bring comfort or pain to those we speak to.  We can use them to encourage or embitter.  We have a choice to make every time we open our mouths, type that message, or post on that social media page.

     We are constantly reminding our children to be careful with their words.  I've told them over and over again that if we say something, we can not take it back.  Once our words are released they can not be retrieved.  They will either help or do harm. 

     I think we should be reminding ourselves of this every single time we want to say something.  We forget that in Matthew 12:26-27, Jesus says:  “I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”  One day we will give an account for the words we speak.  This means the words we type or text as well.  What if we just stopped to think before we opened our mouth, or sat down to type that message or post? What if we asked ourselves a few questions: 

  • Is this helpful?
  • Is this kind?
  • Is this inspiring?
  • Is this thoughtful?
  • Is this necessary?
  • Do I know this to be fact?
  • Can this harm another's reputation?
  • Will I regret it later?
  • Would I want Jesus to read or hear this?

     The list could go on and on.......


   Our words are formed in our minds and heart.  We just don't blurt out things that we haven't been already been pondering in our thoughts.  Matthew 15:18 explains this:  But the words you speak come from the heart—that’s what defiles you.  

    


     I absolutely love what Lysa Terkeurst says in the image above.  It's so true!  Stinking thinking leads to stinky words that proceed from our mouths.  We have bad attitudes and we react in the most improper way.  

     So you are probably asking how do I rid myself of this stinking thinking?  I will give you some suggestions.  

  • Spend time reading God's Word. Immerse yourself in it. Hide it in your heart.  
  • Pray!  Ask God to change your heart and mind.  Ask Him to cleanse your thoughts.  
  • Surrender your mouth {and typing fingers} to Him. Don't speak before praying about what you will say.
  • Write out your thoughts.  Pray over them. Ask God to show you where you need to seek adjustment in your thinking and how you approach others.

     I know I still work on this every day of my life, but it is getting easier.  I use to spout off at the mouth a lot.  It wasn't a pretty sight let me tell ya.  I never thought about how much weight my words carried.  One day I looked at my child's face after I had yelled at her, and it broke my heart into a million pieces.  I had hurt her.  My words had done just as much damage as if I would have hit her.  I was devastated. It was time for a HUGE CHANGE!!!! I began to pray that God would convict me before I spoke.  I started reading verses about the mouth.  I began to think before I allowed those words to escape from my mouth.  It was amazing how many times in a day that I would just have to keep it shut!  

     Then God began changing me from the inside out.  It wasn't so hard to use my words wisely now because my heart was being transformed. My thoughts were not so stinky anymore.  God is doing a good work in my mind and heart. 

     Are you in need of a thought tune-up?  Sit down today and take an account of how you truly feel and think.  Allow God to begin transforming your life one thought at a time.   
       




2 comments:

  1. This is so true! I notice a major difference in my words/heart attitude when I'm spending quality time with the Lord verses when I skip a few days and am "running on fumes". I can be pretty ugly left to myself. Thank you for sharing! That checklist reminds me of a poster I made and kept hanging in the kitchen for awhile. T.H.I.N.K. Before you Speak: Is it: True? Helpful? Inspiring? Necessary? Kind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something I'm currently working on. It's a huge thing to consider that our actions are a straight outpouring of our heart, and our words reflect what's hidden there.

    ReplyDelete