Just Being Us

Just Being Us
Family, where we can be real, and feel unconditional love!

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Giving Thanks Through The Tears


     I was sitting on my bed and the tears began to flow.  Holidays are always hard when loved ones are not with us.  Our hearts ache wishing they could be here to celebrate the special days.  We see other families preparing to see their parents or children, but not everyone will be eating dinner with all their loved ones this year.  

     I know it's hard for me to look across the table and not see my parents. They passed away quite a while ago, but I still miss them especially on holidays.  I miss my mama's smile and my dad's amazing turkey.  I miss watching them prepare things days before Thanksgiving.  It was always a joyous time in our home.  No matter what was going on, they made holidays memorable.  

     As a mom of 6, I knew the day would come when not all my children would be sitting with us for Thanksgiving dinner on Thanksgiving Day.  I knew they would grow up and I would have to share them with other wonderful family.  I thought I was prepared for that, but when those days come, you feel a bit of a tug in your heart.  It's bittersweet. Your happy for them, yet a bit sad that they grew up so quickly.  Even though we will have Thanksgiving dinners with our kiddos, its just a bit strange not having them all here at once. 

     Our lives change from year to year.  Sometimes it is good changes, but others can pull at our heartstrings or cause us sadness that we never could have prepared for.  So how do we give thanks during those times tears are falling?  I sat down to pray and ask God to show me.  He gave me some wonderful verses to comfort my aching heart.  I want to share them with you today.  

  • Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. ~ 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18  

  • You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book. ~ Psalm 56:8

  • For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison. ~ 2 Corinthians 4:17

  • He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds. ~Psalm 147:3

  • He will cover you with his feathers. He will shelter you with his wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection. ~ Psalm 91:4

     Our Lord hears our cries and sees our tears. We are not alone. He knows how we feel.  He will not leave us in our sorrow.  He wants us to remember that our sadness will only last for a night.  One day when we go to be with Him, we will never feel pain or sorrow again. 


     We can choose to thank Him for His gift of eternal life even when we are suffering here on earth because it will remind us that this life is only temporary.  This is not our home.  Our sorrows here will fade away.  We must put our hope in Him.  

      I am reminded of the song "Blessings" by Laura Story.  The words always bring me comfort.  I will leave you with this song to listen to and I want you to know that I will be praying for you today.  

To play the song on You Tube, click on the link below the image.




     
     

      

No comments:

Post a Comment