Just Being Us

Just Being Us
Family, where we can be real, and feel unconditional love!

Saturday, November 5, 2016

Don't Let Yourself Be Content With Your Discontentment


     How many times do we get caught up in our own discontent?  We have complained and grumbled so much that it has become a part of who we are.  I know I have been guilty of this many times.  Instead of laying down my burdens, I chose to fuss about them. 

   There is a difference in asking friends for prayer and really needing godly counsel, and just having a pity party for things we don't have or things not going our way.  

   Recently I read an interesting article about discontentment being a sin.  I have to say I think the article was right on. It convicted me.  If we are constantly complaining, that is us saying we are not trusting God. It is implying that we are not happy with the life God has blessed us with.  It is us expressing our disdain for the many things that we do have. It may also show that we covet what others have, instead of being thankful for what we have been given.

   God has blessed us all in different ways.  He has plans for me that may look unalike the plans he has for you. Each life is special and He knows what is best for us.  We need to have faith in Him!  He supplies our needs according to what He has called us to do.  



   Lately I have been so sad when I hear complaining about things that have little or no significance.  I have wanted to ask "Do you know how many people who would love to have your life?"  We have so much that others do not.  It actually brings tears to my eyes when I think of everything we take for granted.  Warm homes in the winter, cool homes in the summer, clothes, shoes, plumbing, hot showers, food, clean drinking water, health, and SO MUCH MORE!!!!  Who are we to complain about not getting that promotion at work, making more money, not getting the newest iPhone, eating so much we feel sick, having a home that needs some work, the list goes on and on???

   When I think of this subject, I remember something the comedian Tim Hawkins said.  He said "Content or discontent, which tent do you live in?"  I know he was trying to be funny, but you know what there are two tents to pick from and most of us choose DISCONTENT.  We choose to find things to complain about. We have got to get out of this mindset and CHANGE how we see things.  

   I have been praying for the Lord to convict me every time I begin to complain.  I don't want to lose sight of what really matters and that is bringing others to know Him.  If the world sees us so unhappy and bellyaching about every little thing that we feel isn't fair, how is that any different from their thinking.  When we get saved, we are suppose to change.  Our thoughts, words and actions are suppose to do a complete 180 degree turn from our sinful nature. It tells us in Ephesians 5:8 -  For at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light  The world is watching us. If they don't see a difference in us, why would they want what we have.  

   I am not saying we won't be sad during times of hardship.  I am not saying we aren't allowed to be mourn when we are feeling a loss over something we felt was right for us. These emotions are real and we need to spend time working through things, BUT it's our attitude and our heart that we need to be sure is right.  We can't allow discontentment to take over our lives and rule our thoughts. We must shake off the mentality that we can't be joyful and content even in times of trials.  If our joy and contentment are coming from the Lord, we can never lose them!!!!  That is why we MUST have a good relationship with Him.  We MUST put Him first in our lives.  When He is in the proper place, nothing can steal our joy or contentment.  

   Are you ready to put Him first above all?  I promise when you do, He will change you in ways you never thought possible.  Your thoughts, your words, your actions, your disposition..... it will all change over time.  He will show you a new way.  One that will shine a light so others can see Him in you.  

The New Life: Ephesians 4:17-24

Now this I say and testify in the Lord, that you must no longer walk as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their minds.  They are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, due to their hardness of heart.  They have become callous and have given themselves up to sensuality, greedy to practice every kind of impurity.   But that is not the way you learned Christ!  assuming that you have heard about him and were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus,  to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires,  and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds,  and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness. 


   

No comments:

Post a Comment