Just Being Us

Just Being Us
Family, where we can be real, and feel unconditional love!

Sunday, November 27, 2016

It's a New Day, Start it Right


         When I wake up, one of the first things I do is grab for my Bible.  I know what is necessary for me to be able to get through my day.  I look forward to spending time with my Lord, so He can give me strength to face my routines for the day.  On mornings things get hectic and I don't get that time with the Lord, I can feel things spiraling out of control rather quickly.  I have to stop and pray.  My lifeline is that time spent with Jesus. 

    Reading scriptures and praying are what gives us the ability to be more like Him.  If we do not spend that quality time with Him each day, we become depleted.  Our souls do not get the food they need to be servants of God.  Instead our feelings take over and that is never a pretty sight.  I know when my emotions lead me instead of the Lord, I am not who Jesus wants me to be, however  I am acting exactly the way the devil wants me to act. If I am allowing my feelings to lead my actions instead of the Holy Spirit,  I lose control easily and my mouth spouts off reactions that are far from godly. 

    Scriptures are good for teaching us, correcting us, and training us in righteousness.  In order to be the godly women and men that God would have us be, we have to spend time reading our Bible everyday!  No matter what is going on in our lives, we must make time for Him.  He is our LIFELINE!!!!   If you needed a medication to live, you wouldn't forget to take it would you?  Then why do we put our spiritual medication on the shelf to collect dust?

    I had been one of those Christians who thought daily devotions weren't very important, but God has changed my heart.  He wants a daily relationship with me, not just someone who comes to gripe and complain and ask for things when my life is not going well.   He wants me to spend time walking and talking with Him.  He deserves my focus and attention!  He deserves the first of my fruits, and that includes my day.



    I understand sometimes life gets in our way and we are not always able to do devotions first thing, but don't let that keep you from finding time somewhere in your day to spend time with our Lord and Savior.  Allow Him to work in you and through you on a daily basis.  Pray and seek His will in your life and give Him your plans and desires.

   Our children need to see us in God's Word, so they too will want to get to know Him more and more.  They watch and follow our example.  I will share one story to prove this to you.  My husband uses a few Bibles for his personal Bible study.  He likes to compare different translations.  One day I saw our youngest son and daughter carrying a couple of Bibles in each hand, and I asked them what they were doing.  They said, "We are studying the Bibles like Daddy does."   My heart filled with joy and fear all at the same time.  THEY ARE WATCHING!  They are following our examples in good ways and bad. 

   What do you want your children to learn......you are their teacher!


3 comments:

  1. Love this post, Betty! So so true. We can't parent in our own strength, and need that relationship with the Lord to be a priority. It also shows our kids that spending time with God & His Word is truly important to us -- not just something we talk about, but something we EXAMPLE. Great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this! And I needed this today more than ever! Please keep me in your prayers xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. It's hard for me to be disciplined but this is crucial. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete