Just Being Us

Just Being Us
Family, where we can be real, and feel unconditional love!

Friday, January 27, 2017

Who Would Have Thought.....


    If you would have told me that our children would be taking online classes a few years ago, I would have laughed.  I thought everything should be taught from a book.  I had no idea how many resources were out there that would be beneficial to my children's education.  

     I love teaching my children, but I will admit there are certain subjects where I lack sufficient knowledge to really teach it the way it should be taught.  I use to spend hours and hours learning certain subjects in order to teach it.  Now that we have found these amazing resources online, I have more time to focus on other things that I love to teach and they love to learn from me.  I no longer have to research subjects that were harder for me to teach.  It's wonderful!!!

     Our favorite resource at the moment is SchoolhouseTeachers.com.  We are using it for Bible, science, geography, accounting, spelling, computer science, writing, and speech classes.  The kids love it!  I love it!  It has freed my schedule a little so I can pursue other things. Now don't get me wrong, I am still in the room where they take these online classes in case they need any help or have any questions, but I am not the one lecturing or instructing the class and that has helped give me more time to work on other projects.  

     Many times our children are interested in subjects that we have not taken or do not feel able to teach.  That is where online classes benefit them most.  They will be able to take these subjects that interest them and it will be possible to do it from the comfort of home.  A few years ago this was not a option. What a wonderful blessing these classes are for our children.  

     When my kiddos are finished with a class they have so much to tell me.  It brings a smile to my face when they have so much knowledge to share. They have taught this mama a few new things and I think that is what homeschooling is all about. Learning together, growing together, and just being together as a family.  


      One of our jobs as parents and homeschool teachers, is to meet the needs of our families.  We need to understand that each family is unique.  We can't expect to follow just one approach to get the job done.  We have to find what works best for them and not worry what other families are doing. Don't compare your children to other children. Be confident in your abilities to know what your family needs and stick to your plan.  

     Do you use online classes in your homeschool?There are so many incredible sites out there. I would love to hear if you have some online resources to share with me.  

2 comments:

  1. We have just discovered schoolhouseteachers.com! I am shocked by the amount of material that they have!! I love this site and I'm so thankful we have found it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for linking up with us at Hip Homeschool Moms! My children have taken online classes too, and they very much enjoy them! I think they are a great option for subjects that we don't feel comfortable teaching. They're also great for children who enjoy computer-based learning and for busy moms!

    ReplyDelete