Just Being Us

Just Being Us
Family, where we can be real, and feel unconditional love!

Friday, June 7, 2019

Shhhh.....Can I Tell You A Secret? I Fail



     Yesterday was one of those days.  You know the ones that make you want to crawl back into bed and pull the covers over you head. Nothing was going well.  No one wanted to get up.  Everyone was moving in slow motion. I was about to pull by hair out by noon.  

     I was feeling like a huge failure as a homeschool mom.  Here it was 1 in the afternoon and we had only gotten through a couple of subjects.  Usually we are done with school by 2 or so.  My head was pounding, my voice was getting louder and louder, and still absolutely no cooperation.  Then to top it all off my 16 year old son started to feel a little sick to his stomach.  He was turning quite green.  Thank God for our essential oils that helped him or our day would have been a complete loss.

     By 2, I was ready to climb into my bed, but that would have just put us behind even more.  So I decided to have a parent/teacher conference with myself in the bathroom.  I went in and locked the door.  I prayed and asked God to help me.  My nerves were on edge and my frustration was making me angry inside.  It was not a good combination.  After sitting there praying for about 10 minutes, I decided to reclaim our day.  I went downstairs, turned on some worship music, added some Joy oil to our diffusers and gathered the kids for a meeting.  I told them we were going to start over.  We were going to get a re-do, and that is exactly what we did.  

    Guess what?  It worked.  They were finally motivated to get things done.  We were actually done by 4:30 and we had the rest of the evening to enjoy. We had turned our insanely crazy day upside down. 

    When my husband got home, we decided to take a long ride on his motorcycle and it was amazing.  The temperature was just right, the cool breeze was invigorating and the sun streaming on my face made me feel all warm inside.  It was a great ending to our day.  

     What if I had just thrown in the towel earlier that afternoon? Our entire day would have been a fail.  We would have probably even woken up this morning with a bad attitude.  

     So what changed the day?  A mama on her knees in prayer.  I knew my bad attitude was just fueling the fire and if I kept it up, it would have gotten worse. Moms, we really do set the mood in our homes.  We either bring peace to the atmosphere, or we will bring distress.  It is up to us to change things.  We have more control than we think.  I love the verse in Proverbs 14 verse 1 - The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down. Let's choose to build up our homes, even when it feels like Satan is destroying it one piece at a time.  Ask the Lord to give you strength.  He can help us.  If we just admit our failures and weaknesses, He will fill in the gaps where we fall short. 



Do you need a do-over?

     

4 comments:

  1. I love that you're sharing this, Betty! I think it's so easy to only share the good things, the things that go right and that we do well, but there's such value in being authentic. And, to steal your line ;), let's get real: we all have those days! I'm so grateful that we can use those days as teaching moments for our kids and show them how the Holy Spirit can turn it all around if we just ask Him to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I love how you didn't give up, but persevered, prayed and turned around your day! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this ---> So what changed the day? A mama on her knees in prayer.

    Such an important reminder for all moms! Grateful for your honesty and transparency in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found you on The Homeschool Nook. Great post. I have had many of these days. It's a good reminder where to look to turn things around!

    ReplyDelete