Just Being Us

Just Being Us
Family, where we can be real, and feel unconditional love!

Thursday, June 20, 2019

HOMESCHOOL REVIEW CREW: Our Review of Jump In, 2nd Edition



     I have always loved writing short stories, essays, and even book reports.  I want to instill a love of writing in my children.  When I first started homeschooling, I didn't realize how hard it would be to teach writing skills to children.  I wish I would have had Jump In, 2nd Edition from Writing with Sharon Watson 22 years ago.  I was thrilled to be chosen to receive and review it.  I knew my daughter, who is in middle school, would benefit from working through it.  


     The set includes a Teacher's Guide and a Student Workbook for Middle School Composition.  The are paperback but are durable. The program can be used in many different ways.  They have a one year schedule, a two year schedule or the three year schedule that you can follow.  These are explained in the Teacher's Guide. Each lesson can last anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 minutes.  Our family is going to use the two year schedule so Hope can get the most out of the curriculum.  

     The Teacher's Guide is 115 pages long and includes:

  • Schedules
  • Random Facts
  • Assignments
  • Teacher's Backpack (Helps you with teaching writing skills)
  • Sample Essay Evaluations
  • 10 minute Writing Plunges
  • Answer Key
  • Grading Grids


   This guide gives you knowledge of how to grade your student's writing and ways you can encourage them to write.  I feel it is well put together and I have enjoyed reading through it and using it to further my daughter's writing abilities.

     The Student Workbook is 286 pages long and consists of lessons titled: 
  • Get Your Feet Wet
  • Opinions-You've Got Them
  • Persuasion: The Basics
  • Cause and Effect
  • A Newspaper Article
  • A How-to
  • A Report
  • A Biography
  • Compare and Contrast
  • A Book Report
  • Description
  • Narration
  • Poetry
  • My Locker
     
     My daughter has been working through the Get Your Feet Wet and Opinions-You've Got Them.  She was a bit apprehensive at first as she hasn't loved other writing curriculum in the past, but once she got started she was intrigued.  She told me this curriculum wasn't like others she had done before.  They were asking questions that made her realize that they cared about how she felt about writing.  




     I was excited to see her wanting to write. She realized it didn't have to be perfect.  She just had to get her thoughts down at first.  She was thrilled to have subjects that she was interested in as well. 

    I had her write a paper with her thoughts from above.  She brainstormed ideas of how having a pet was beneficial.  She turned it into a paper telling parents why kids should be allowed to have pets, a subject she is passionate about.



      Once she had it down on paper, she decided to type it out so it would be grammatically correct and not just her thoughts on a paper. She was pleased with her work and printed it out for me to see.  I think she did a great job!!! This is a great resource for her and I can't wait to see her learn more from it.  It really is different from other writing programs.


     Do you have a middle school aged child who struggles with writing/composition?  I would highly recommend this curriculum.  Even if you don't homeschool, I think any child could benefit from working through this program.  

     Come on over and check out the Writing with Sharon Watson website or look them up on their social media links below:



     We have more reviews of this program over here. Just click on the banner below to see what other families are saying about this curriculum.
⇊⇊⇊⇊
Jump In, 2nd Edition {Writing with Sharon Watson Reviews}
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!


1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, Betty. I think Hope did a great job of explaining why kids should have pets. And I love the sticky notes for her brainstorming session!

    Thanks for your review of Jump In, 2nd Edition, and thanks for all the great images you included. Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete