Just Being Us

Just Being Us
Family, where we can be real, and feel unconditional love!

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Homeschool Review Crew: Our Review of Novare Science & Math


     I have always enjoyed science.  I hoped my children would like it as much as I have, but that was not the case for some of my kiddos.  When we were picked to review General Chemistry from Novare Science & Math, I was a bit apprehensive and excited at the same time.  I first saw this curriculum in my Memoria Press catalog that I received just a couple of months ago and was thrilled to get to review it for myself.   

     Novare Science & Math has so many resources to offer homeschooling families such as Earth Science: God's World, Our Home, Introductory Physics, Physical Science, and the book we are reviewing titled General Chemistry. These are just a few of the courses they offer. I was so surprised that I hadn't heard of them before now.  

     When the hardback book arrived in the mail, I handed it to my 17-year-old son,  who would be using it over the next year, and he started thumbing through the pages.  It was quite impressive.  It begins with a Preface for the teacher that explains what is to follow.  It also describes their Emphasis on Mastery, Integration, and Kingdom.  After the preface, you have an introductory chapter that is followed up with 12 more informative chapters that include:
  • Measurements
  • Atoms and Substances
  • Atomic Structure
  • The Periodic Law
  • Chemical Bonding
  • Molecular Theory and Metallic Bonding
  • Chemical Reactions and Stoichiometry
  • Kinetic Theory and States of Matter
  • The Gas Laws
  • Solution Chemistry
  • Acids and Bases
  • Redox Chemistry



      We were also given a downloadable version of the Resource CD that goes along with the General Chemistry book.  This CD includes:
  • Recommendations for teaching this course
  • Quizzes
  • Exams
  • Quiz keys
  • Exam keys
      I was pleased to read that they teach science through a Biblical view.  They emphasize the fact that God created this beautiful world we live in. As I looked over the textbook, I was delighted to see how thorough the text was.  They explained everything in detail.  I feel that is important so our children will not struggle with understanding what is being taught.  

      Here is my son's point of view: During the time that I used this curriculum, I felt that it was informative and leaves no questions unanswered. It was thorough in explaining details of the topic of the chapter. This Chemistry course is better than others I have done in the past.  It is important to me that I learn science from a Biblical perspective and this book met that requirement. I am looking forward to finishing this one.

     What a blessing to hear that he is enjoying a subject that he has struggled with in the past.  It fills my heart with joy to see him able to learn such a difficult subject with ease.  It really is all about finding a good fit for our children and I would suggest looking into these wonderful courses for your students.  

     If you would like to learn more about General Chemistry and other resources from Novare Science & Math, I would suggest visiting their website and their social media pages:


     I want to encourage you to head on over to read some more reviews of this resource and a few others like Science for Every Teacher over on the Homeschool Review Crew website.  I would love for you to see what other homeschool families are saying about  Novare Science & Math. You won't be disappointed.

     Have a blessed day!!!!

     


1 comment:

  1. This sounds like it might be a good fit for my daughter when we get to high school chemistry. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete