Just Being Us

Just Being Us
Family, where we can be real, and feel unconditional love!

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Homeschool Review Crew: Our Review of How to HOMESCHOOL with Stunning Confidence, Contagious Joy, and Amazing Focus



     When I was beginning my first year of homeschooling 19 years ago, I would have loved to have How to HOMESCHOOL with Stunning Confidence, Contagious Joy, and Amazing Focus (DVD & Coursebook) from Apologia Educational Ministries. When I was chosen to review it, I was excited because I wanted to share about this resource with other homeschooling families.

      When I began my homeschooling adventure,  I was at a complete loss at first and had to research everything on my own.  I had my husband's support, but everyone else thought I was crazy.  I knew that our choice to homeschool was what the Lord was calling us to do.  I didn't allow the negativity we were dealing with to compromise what God said was right for our family.  
     How to HOMESCHOOL is written by two wonderful homeschooling moms named Rachel Carman & Leslie Nunnery.  This set includes  two DVDs and a Coursebook.  This set will be a great help to those who are praying about homeschooling or just beginning their journey.  I enjoyed watching Rachel and Leslie discuss their experiences and encouraging families to teach their children diligently in the Word of God.  They used the word discipleship many times and that is exactly what your main focus should be.  We want to teach our children to love the Lord with all their hearts, minds, and souls.  
     


       
     The DVD chapters last from about 7 minutes to 14 minutes in length and correspond with the chapters in the Coursebook. Rachel and Leslie keep your focus and are wonderful speakers.  They are open and honest. That is refreshing to me. It reassures me to know I am not alone in the feelings I have had. 




     The Coursebook has 6 sections with 15 chapters in all. Each chapter has a section for notes and an assignment you will need to complete in order to get the most out of this book.  Here is what you can expect to learn:
  • Introduction: Join Us on the Journey
  • Chapter 1: How to Get the Most Out of This Course
Designing Your Road Map
  • Chapter 2: Setting Goals for the Journey
  • Chapter 3: Finding Support 
  • Chapter 4: Choosing Curriculum
Finding Your Way
  • Chapter 5: Practical How-To's (Nuts & Bolts)
  • Chapter 6: Organizing Your Homeschool Stuff
  • Chapter 7: Organizing Your Homeschool Day
  • Chapter 8: Tip from Veterans
Navigating the Detours
  • Chapter 9: Family Matters-Marriage
  • Chapter 10: Family Matters-The Rest
  • Chapter 11: Dealing with Opposition
Arriving at Your Destination
  • Chapter 12: High School Graduation and College
  • Chapter 13: If College Is Not the End Game
  • Chapter 14: You Can Make It!
Beginning Your Journey
  • Chapter 15: Continuing Education and Encouragement Opportunities

     I think the most important chapter is Setting Goals for the Journey.  In this chapter, you sit down with your spouse and figure out just why you are homeschooling. If you have a goal in mind you are more apt to keep going when things get hard. Our family wrote a mission statement years ago.  


     My favorite chapter was Tips from Veterans.  It is so important that we help those who are beginning this wonderful journey of homeschooling. We should share what we have learned along the way.  We need to be open and honest with our struggles and able to admit where we failed.  When we are genuine and forthright, it helps other homeschooling families to see that even on days we fall apart, there is light at the end of the tunnel.  You need to keep your goals in mind.  


     If you would like to learn more about this amazing resource you can visit their website How to HOMESCHOOL or check out their social media pages:

     We also have some more reviews for this resource and Internship for High School Credit over on the Homeschool Review Crew website.  I encourage you to check them out.

     Have a blesssed day!!!!



3 comments:

  1. I got the privilege to review this, also. This resource is definitely one of great encouragement. I have garnered many wonderful things from using this and am so pleased that this resource is out there for new families but also for those who could just use a couple of friends to reassure them. - Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would this be good for Canadians as well or is it geared to the US.........just wondering if it helps every homeschooler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe it is a good fit for all homeschoolers. ��

    ReplyDelete