Just Being Us

Just Being Us
Family, where we can be real, and feel unconditional love!

Monday, March 12, 2018

Homeschool Review Crew: Our Review of Taming the Lecture Bug and Getting Your Kids to Think


     Parenting can be such a rewarding experience but it can also be a struggle.  I have been a mom for almost 24 years and I will admit I have failed in many areas.  My heart wanted to be a mom who was always patient and kind, but I would fall short of these goals on a daily basis.  I wish I would have had these resources when my older children were growing up.   Taming the Lecture Bug and Getting Your Kids to Think book and DVD from Parenting Made Practical is an excellent resource to help parents learn how to stop lecturing their children and how to teach them to use their minds. I was excited to be given a copy of each to review. 


     I loved the book, but the DVD brought the illustrations to life and helped me see how to deal with things more effectively. I enjoyed watching Joey and Carla Link teach.  You can see their love for Christ and their love to help other families learn how to better deal with their kids in many areas.  They are real and transparent.  They admit they have had issues and through their testimonies, they are helping others not to make the same mistakes. 

      I know my kids do not listen when I am talking at them instead of to them.  They see nagging as an opportunity to zone out and stop hearing what I have to say.  It doesn't work and the tools in this book and DVD help parents see how to do things differently. They give you examples and scenarios that show you how lecturing isn't a tactic that works. They give you ways to get your child to really think about what they are doing and why it is wrong.  I would have never thought a tactic like the one described would work so well. 

      The book was very informative.  It has examples throughout that educates parents in how to deal with different situations that may occur.  It teaches parents how to react in such a way that it gets their children to think about their responsibilities and how they can improve their behavior.  I didn't realize that when I was lecturing and threatening, my kids were not being taught responsibility for their actions.  Our children need to think through things for themselves and this book will give you the tools to help them to do so.  

     As I watched the video, I answered the study questions that are offered on the Parenting Made Practical website.  They helped me to remember what was being taught and gave me a reference to look over when trying to implement the advice given in the seminar.  I would highly recommend printing out the worksheets as you read the book or watch the DVD.  

     Soon after reading the book and watching the DVD, I sat my husband down and asked him to watch the DVD with me again.  We learned so much from this lovely couple and we have incorporated their techniques.  It has been a learning experience for both us and our children.  We are seeing some positive results.  

     If you would like more information on these resources and others offered, I encourage you to visit the  Parenting Made Practical website or their social media pages listed below:
     
     We also have some more reviews for you to read over on the Homeschool Review Crew website. 
👇👇👇👇

Parenting Made Practical {Reviews}


Have a great week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment