Just Being Us

Just Being Us
Family, where we can be real, and feel unconditional love!

Monday, August 21, 2017

What Would I Do Differently?????



     Recently, I read a post that asked the question: "What would you do differently?"  This post was regarding the differences between your homeschooling style now and when you first started.  When I read this question, I immediately thought..... "EVERYTHING!"

     I use to be such a rigid and unrealistic homeschool mom.  For some reason, I thought I had to design our homeschool to look just like a "normal" school.  I thought that in order to give my children the proper education, I needed to mimic what was going on in our public schools. I had us on a very strict schedule. We would get school started every day by 8 and we wouldn't stop until 2 or 3.  I would give my kids two 15 minute recesses and a 30 minute lunch time.  They were required to sit at their desk or table for most of the day.  I would get very aggravated when our schedule was interrupted. 

     As I look back on those days, it makes me want to cry.  I didn't get it at all.  Homeschooling is not about making a school at home.  It's about learning together as a family.  Letting your children explore the world.  Helping them find what they are good at doing.  Giving them the tools they need to accomplish what the Lord wants them to be.  Oh, how I wish I could go back and tell that young homeschooling mom to RELAX!!!!! 


     Our homeschool looks a lot different today. As a matter of fact, it's totally different.  I am more laid back.  We have more time for play. We still have an agenda to keep but it is not a rigid schedule set in stone.  If we feel like taking a nature walk or heading out to the park, we do it. If someone comes over, we feel free to stop our school work and enjoy their company. We don't have a designated school room. We may do school on the couch, floor, or kitchen table. We have books all around the house. We have freedom! We now have a home that feels warm and inviting, not a house that looks like a school. 

     My children have more time to pursue what they love. God has given each of them special talents and it is my job to make sure they have everything they need to develop those abilities. They are happy. I am happy.  Our home is peaceful.  I didn't say our home is quiet because it is rarely quiet. The peace is in our hearts and minds. 




     I will admit that I still have days where I slip back into my old mentality.  I get worried that my children aren't getting enough "schooling", but then I am reminded how well they are doing. They are thriving.  They are learning each and every day.  As I sit and talk with them, I am astonished at how much they know.  There are days they teach me more than I teach them. It amazes me. 

      Homeschooling is an adventure and I don't want to miss anything. I want my children to love their learning experience. I pray that the memories we make today will put a smile on their face when they look back on them tomorrow.  My goal is to instill a love of learning in them that will overflow into their homes one day. 

     So I ask you... What would you do differently? 


2 comments:

  1. Yes, one of the great gifts of homeschooling is the relaxed attitude we can take toward time and choices. But then we hem ourselves in with our OCD and our own rigid ideas about what it "should" look like. I've been at this for 18 years and still learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my short time of homeschooling I had the greatest success when I let go and allowed God to guide me. Sometimes this meant taking the day off or shortening our lessons. This next year our son is enrolled in a public charter school as he needs lots of help to catch him up. I am still hoping and praying we come back to homeschooling next year. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete