Just Being Us

Just Being Us
Family, where we can be real, and feel unconditional love!

Friday, May 8, 2020

Encouraging Your Child When They Want to Give Up


    Recently my children gave me this cup for my morning coffee. As I read what it said, I was reminded once again how important it is to encourage our children.  Are we inspiring them to be all they can be? Do we support them as they follow God's plan for their life? Are we able to give them the help they need to push through and finish a difficult task?

     Sometimes our children struggle in areas and we allow them to give up too soon.  As parents, we need to be sure that we are not letting our children quit just because there is some discomfort involved.  In order for our kids to make it in this world, they must realize that there are going to be times where they want to throw in the towel, but it's crucial to be sure that they are not giving up for the wrong reasons. We need to teach them that God will give them strength to finish what they have started if it is in His will. They need to learn to rely on Him and not their own abilities.  

     Over the years I have failed in this area a few times. I didn't realize that it was okay to see my children struggle as long as I was there to cheer them on.  I wanted to rescue them.  I didn't understand that letting them go through would be what strengthened them for the next battle they would endure.  Now I know that its critical for me to let them work through difficulties in order for them to grow.  

      God our Father has shown me that He is the same way. He allows me to go through rough times so I can become stronger.  He doesn't swoop in to rescue me but instead encourages me to push through.  He knows it will build my faith and I will be stronger for the next battle I face.  

      So today I challenge you to become your child's biggest fan.  Cheer them on when you see them struggling. Don't let them quit just because things get hard. Give them the support they need to finish what they have started.  Pray with them. Let them know that as long as they trust in God, He will be with them through everything they go through, good or bad.  Our greatest job as a parent is to point our children towards Christ.  He will supply them with all they need.  As they walk in obedience to Him, He will guide them in all they do.  

   


1 comment:

  1. Yes! It is so important to remember that our kids have a mission just like we do and their walk can be hard and they need encouragement just like us.

    ReplyDelete