Just Being Us

Just Being Us
Family, where we can be real, and feel unconditional love!

Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Homeschool Review Crew : Our Review of Traditional Logic I


     Recently we were given the opportunity to receive and review Traditional Logic I Complete Set from Memoria Press.  I knew this class was going to be an in depth study into how to think logically and this was one area I felt we were needing to add to our homeschool agenda.  I was so excited to get my package and open it.  Any resources from Memoria Press are always a huge hit in our home.  This one did not disappoint.
    Right away I unpacked the wonderful books that came in the set.  This set included an instructional DVD, workbook, student text, quizzes and tests, and a teacher manual with all the answers and text.  As I opened up the student text to take a peak at what was going to be taught, I became a little apprehensive that our daughter who is now is 7th grade, would have issues understanding it all, but as usual, she did fine.  It took a little more time for her to do each lesson than I thought it would take, but that it because she wanted to be sure she took in all she could from each lesson.  This set is geared for grades 7-12, so if you have a child who struggles a little with reading comprehension you may want to wait until they are a little older to begin this class.  

     The DVD is great!  It is all you need to help your child understand what is being taught in the text.  As a very busy parent, this DVD is such a blessing.  I can let her watch it and she is ready to read through the text and do her workbook.  I love that Memoria Press puts so much thought into their sets.  You can see they have quality materials and really want to help your child learn. 

     Let me give you an idea of what is being studied in the Student Text: 

  • Introduction: What is Logic?
  • Chapters 1-3 will focus on Simple Apprehension
  • Chapters 4-9 will focus on Judgment (Proposition)
  • Chapters 10-13 have you studying Deductive Inference (Syllogism)
  • Chapter 14 is a review chapter
  • In the back you will find a glossary and important people to remember





     Hope loves to sit outside to do her schoolwork, so on days the weather is good here, we do just that. I think it helps her learn.  She is more focused when she is in an environment that she loves.  The workbook and textbook are easy to take with you anywhere you want to study and the DVD plays well on our laptop computer so she enjoyed doing her logic lessons on our back patio table most days.  

     This class will prepare our children to think through things better.  I love the definition of logic by Raymond McCall that states "Logic in general is the science of right thinking".  It brings order to our thoughts and reasoning.  I believe it will help our children to better debate their beliefs with others who do not hold the same beliefs.  I wish I would have had this study for my older children who are now graduated.  I think it would have helped them be better prepared for certain situations they have encountered so far in their lives.  

     I highly encourage you to check out this set on the Memoria Press website and you can learn more about this along with other resources on their social media pages listed below: 


     
     We also have more reviews for you for this set along with some others over here
⇊⇊⇊⇊⇊

New American Cursive & Traditional Logic {Memoria Press Reviews}
Have a great day!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment