Just Being Us

Just Being Us
Family, where we can be real, and feel unconditional love!

Monday, May 6, 2019

Simplifying Our Homeschool



For our boast is this, the testimony of our conscience, that we behaved in the world with simplicity and godly sincerity, not by earthly wisdom but by the grace of God, and supremely so toward you.
~ 2 Corinthians 1:12 ~ 

     When I started out homeschooling, I thought I had to have every book they made and a library of our own.  Our youngest son was overwhelmed with all the books and stuff we bought to teach him.  He would see the many bookshelves full of things and would just mentally break down.  There was too much to choose from.  He needed simplicity.  He craved it.  

       After 20 years, I have certainly learned what is needed and not needed in order to teach our children here at home.  We went from 6 bookshelves full of homeschooling books and learning materials, to just 2.  That is not bad considering we have curriculum for grades 6-12. We also have the books the children love to read on our bookshelves.  Our new rule is when we buy a new book, we look for 5 to give away to another family who can use them. It is all about keeping things simple and easy to maintain.  

        As for our curriculum, we have been trying some classes online.  We still have some textbooks and workbooks, but it is getting less and less each year.  I no longer think that we need tons of books in order to educate our children with excellence.  

        I wanted to share about this subject so that you may glean from my years of experience.  Don't think you have to buy every book out there.  Take time to look for the items that will fit you and your children.  Be careful not to buy too many books or learning aids.  Don't overwhelm yourself or your children with things.  What they need is your attention and your time.  They will learn no matter how many learning materials is available as long as you take time to teach them on a daily basis.  

     Try digital books.  You may find that you and your children like them and they are easy to take with you where ever you go.  We love our Kindle books and many were free.  

     I use to think that if I didn't have tons of books and teaching aids that other families would think we were not giving our children a quality education.  Now I only live to please God, my husband and my children in our home.  It doesn't matter what everyone else thinks as long as I am doing all I do for the glory of God!  

So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
~ 1 Corinthians 10:31 ~





No comments:

Post a Comment