Just Being Us

Just Being Us
Family, where we can be real, and feel unconditional love!

Thursday, March 2, 2017

You Can Do It! {Homeschooling Through High School}


      Can I do it? This is the question I asked myself many times as my children grew up.  I wanted so much to homeschool my children all the way through high school, but as those years approached, I started to feel feelings of apprehension.  Could I really pull this off?  Was it going to be the best education for my children? 

     When my oldest son was in eighth grade, I sat down with him and asked him what he thought of going to school.   He looked at me dumbfounded.  He said “Why mom, don’t you want to teach me anymore?”  I assured him that was not why I was considering sending him to school.  I explained my feelings of inadequacy.  He looked at me and said, “Mom, I know we can do this together.”  It was then that I knew it was possible.  God had our backs.  He was going to be there with us the entire time.  When we felt weak, He would make us strong.  When we felt like we were unable to accomplish something, He would step in and give us the courage to press on. 



     I am not going to lie to you and say it has been an easy task.  We have hit some bumps along the way, but I believe it is worth it all.   We have seen major growth in all our children as we homeschool them during the high school years.  I have graduated three of my children and our middle son will graduate in May of 2018. We have 2 more who I will homeschool all the way through high school if the Lord permits us to.  I have never regretted one moment I have spent teaching my children. 

     Teaching reading, writing and arithmetic is very important, but teaching our children character and real life skills, are what will really matter in the big scheme of things.  In our home, we want our kids to be men and women of integrity.  We want their yes to mean yes and their no to mean no.  We want them to be honest and kind.  From the time they are old enough to learn, we begin training them in godly character.  We want them to be bold for Christ. We want them to be productive citizens that are willing to serve God where ever He calls them.  These our main goals.  With Christ at the center of our school and home, we know everything will fall into place.

     I am on my knees daily praying for the Lord to show me how to train my children.  I know without Him, I would fail miserably. His Word is my manual.  Just as I have teacher manuals for the curriculum I teach, I know without my Bible I wouldn’t be able to train my children in His ways.  I have to be reading my manuals in order for them to guide me. 


     Without the Lord, I wouldn’t have made it this far, so if you are worried you won’t be able to homeschool all the way through high school, sit down and pray today.  Ask God what He wants for you and your family.  He will give you the answers you are longing for.  

1 comment:

  1. This is great. I have so loved being able to homeschool my kids through high school. It is totally worth it, and God will guide you throughout!

    ReplyDelete